Planking for Killer Abs!
By Naomi Nasinyari
What is Planking?
When I first heard about planking, I wondered how effective it was. It seemed too easy. It just looks like you’re lying on the ground supporting yourself on your arms. As a seasoned gym enthusiast, exercise meant sweat and exertion. So I was able to begin with 3 sets of planks, holding for at least 1 minute each and then resting for 20 seconds. If you are a beginner, start by holding a plank for 20 to 30 seconds. Rest for a minute. Repeat three times. It is so simple you can do it in your bedroom for just a few minutes each day. Yet the results are incredible.
How long should you hold a plank?
The length of hold and the number of repetitions are entirely up you.
As you build your core muscles you will be able to increase the length of your holds and number of reps.
If you push yourself a little, the benefits are outstanding. Best when done in conjunction with a healthy eating plan.
How to Do a Plank
• Get face down on the floor resting on your forearms and knees.
• Push off the floor, raising up off your knees onto your toes and resting mainly on your elbows.
• Contract your abs to keep yourself up and prevent your bottom from sticking up.
• Keep your back flat — Picture your body as a long straight board, or plank.
• Hold as long as you can, keeping everything tight. Aim for 20-30 seconds in the beginning and work your way up to one minute, as you get stronger.
• Repeat three times.
How Planking makes you Powerful
• It works your entire mid-section which includes the upper abs, your lower abs, and your lower back.
• It strengthens the neck muscles. By maintaining the plank position you are working major muscle groups in your neck, and this helps your posture especially if you spend a lot of time sitting at desk.
• Builds and tones your biceps as you keep your upper body off the ground.
• Strengthens your gluts (bum muscles), thighs and calves, thereby resulting in better looking legs.
• Promotes good posture as it teaches you to keep your abs in a contracted position.
If you have any pre-existing condition, check with your doctor before you start an exercise program. Planking is best done on a good quality yoga mat. You can purchase one from Jay Cee’s Fitness Company. SMS/WhatsApp to +254721294860. Would you like to read more on exercise and healthy eating recipes?